Saturday, April 09, 2011

Mentally, on the rise

Since I have a few minutes to digest my last meal, I can note some good things on the lifting front this past week. Consistency in my workouts lends to keeping my mood even as well as seeing some progress in my lifts, most notably my squat and deadlift. I also began experimenting with some orange bands in my bench press to see the impact on the lift... makes my lockout a bit more difficult. Also (somewhat) new to the party are Pendlay rows at a lower weight to help me concentrate on different muscle contractions in my back, and Anderson Good Mornings - a barbell loaded on the bails in the power rack meant to be good morning'd (?) up from a dead stop.

Saturday workout (April 2) - Mishmash. Jump rope, chest, shoulders.
Shoulder press (Arnold style) with DB have been agitating my tight right shoulder and right lat. 
30x6
Superset with Anterior raise on left side only. Left side muscles seem rather lagged compared to right.
10x10, 5x10
Hanging leg raises
10x10x3, 15x1
Hang clean... just to do hang clean.
45x5, 85x5, 95x5
Flat Bench BB, not including warmup sets... bands used.
125x2, 125x1

Sunday workout (April 3)   - Jump rope, shoulder press DB, Pendlay row
Only thing to really note in this workout was starting Pendlay rows. Close to horizontal back in form.

Tuesday workout - Jump rope, Legs
Remember that twang in my knee from the other week? It's not always there, but I'm trying to keep it from creeping into my mind. That said, I didn't feel lethargic or anything... Squat time.

Squat (back).
45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 175x3, 185x5 spot on elbows, 195x2
Pull Throughs (cables)
130x15, 150x12x3
Squat (Zercher) - Not too thrilled with the bar I was using. Was it a squat bar? Possibly.
45x5, 95x8, 115x8.
Romanian DL
115x8, 135x6, 145x5, 95x8?
Hamstring Curl, single leg slow negatives
20x6 superset 15x6, times 2
Jackknife V-Up crunch on bench
50x3
Jackknife V-Up on ball
30x3

Wednesday workout - Back
So while I got excited because my squat seemed to stay on track, I was in for a surprise on Wednesday.

Hang clean - felt crappy on the wrists today. 5 sets up to
115x1
Deadlift (sumo)
135x8, 185x5, 235x5 mixed grip, 255x5 mixed grip & belt, 185x5 double OH grip, 205x2 double OH grip
I couldn't believe how AWESOME I felt when deciding the next weight to pull. Very proud of the poundage jumps, they were comfortable to pull and I felt like I could've done 275#(!), my PR... I loaded it on the bar but I didn't set up properly because I thought, "if I use straps, this will be no problem, I got this!" ...but I fudged up and the moment passed me by. Should have just gone strapless! Haha... Decided not to get too greedy and dropped the weight to pull a couple more times with a double overhand grip. Still comfortable. Unfortunately I didn't care what happened to the rest of my workout after this.
Pull-Ups
8 reps x 4 sets after a crappy weighted set 25#x4
Anderson Good Morning - Testing weights, 4 sets up to
75x10
Pendlay Row, Pronated/Supinated - 3 sets leading up to
65x8
Hanging Leg Raises - Back was feeling really good!
15x3
Hammer and concentrated curls to finish.

I think I've used enough time to digest and get this out. Next time I hope I remember to discuss some thoughts on the documentaries I watched on Netflix last weekend. I love Netflix! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment